RE: 1750/2000, spica/carbs

i wrote:

>>"Experts rate the 1750 highest for its combination of sweetness and
>>refinement, while even the 1600 offers lusty acceleration, and the
two-litre
>>offers the most torque."

>>so there you have it.  end of story.  no need for further discussion.

>>bs

paul responded:

>No I don't Brian cause that's not my 2 liter they're talking about!

<and>

>Scott - Nice piece in defense of SPICA. I don't know why so many folks are
>bothering to diss it when it is after all, wholly Alfa and a damned good
>system. This bickering over 1750 vs 2000, Webers vs SPICA etc has turned me
>away from the digest lately.

my apologies for turning *anyone* off.  i personally have enjoyed the
debate, and have tried to remember to insert smileys everywhere when making
a definitive statement (the above definitive statement was not mine,
however, i quoted directly from a book).

at any rate, for the record, my reasons for preferring the '71 gtv are
partly aesthetic, partly functional, and mostly personal.  i like the
grille, dash, and the hung brakes, what can i say?  as for the 1750, well i
already have a 2000 in the go-fast car (for the record it revs easier and
faster than any 1750 i've ever driven), so my decision to build a 1750 for
the gtv was based on the desire for the feel of the motor and the preference
to keep it somewhat 'original'.  if the '71 gtv was my only alfa then i
probably would have built a killer 2000 for it..

finally, with regards to spica vs carbs, i think they're both fine pieces of
engineering, so i'll enjoy having both systems on alfas sitting in my
garage!

my own turn-off on the digest?  i don't like it when someone criticizes one
thing or another, or an individuals methodologies, without offering a
'better' (or alternative) method.  i wasn't around during the glory days
(well i was, but i was a tad on the wee side), and i don't have the benefit
of countless hours of dyno time, track time, working alongside factory
engineers, etc.  i'll probably never get that experience, but i'm always
eager to learn from those who were there.

fwiw,

bs