Wheel bolt patterns

Can someone give a quick run-down on wheel bolt patterns and which wheels are
interchangeable.  I have a '74 GTV and a set of stock alloy wheels off of a
'77 Alfetta which I understand to be a different pattern.  Are the wheels for
the '74 GTV interchangeable with a '74 Spider, for example?  Is the '74 pattern
4 x 108? 4 x 98?  4 x 100?  4 x something else?  If looking to aftermarket wheels,
what else does one need to know?  (Such as off-set, what's that?)

(Sorry if I'm rehashing an old thread.)
Visit the Hovis Home Page:
http://www.jps.net/gnhovis