SAE International

Eric Storhok wrote
>BTW, SAE is not an American organization- its international.

to which Mark Battley replied
"Yes it is, although for some reason I thought that it originated in the USA,
which was why it was widely used there (at least in the 1970s) in preference
to other standards?? Or is that not the case?"

Indeed, it has headquarters in Warrendale, Pennsylvania where it was founded
in 1904. It is certainly international in scope and intent, but a browse in
its bookstore (http://www.sae.org/BOOKSTORE) suggests that it is still
USA-centric. Searching the database of its booklist for Alfa Romeo content
came up with four hits out of 18,182 documents searched, none of them more
blood-warming (to me) than the one titled "Potentiality of Oxygenated
Synthetic Fuel and Reformulated Fuel on Emissions From a Modern DI Diesel
Engine". Similarly, a search for 'Bobby Rahal' got nine hits, but Nuvolari
got none. In my eyes that is fairly red, white and blue.

Regards,

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.