Re: alfa-digest V7 #1156 Weber vs. Spica

I find it ironic that my last "submission" (effort to be submissive?)
was followed by even more incorrect information from the same source I'd
tried to correct earlier. To wit (or half-wit):

"Alfa (or at least Autodelta) certainly believed in Spica; starting in
March 1968, all the 105 racing coupes went over to Spica, dropping the
twin Webers in favor of the more precise fuel metering that the
mechanical fuel injection offered..." is (again) absurdly incorrect.

I have Autodelta dynamometer sheets on file detailing the Weber carb
settings on Autodelta-prepared engines as late as September 1971. Any of
you fortunate enough to have purchased the "CRH" re-published by Don
Black will find some of these dyno reports included in Section 1.

The first Autodelta-prepared cars using fuel injection systems didn't
use the Spica system either; they used modified Lucas
rotary-distribution pumps as fitted (for example) on the Tipo 33 entries
at Sebring and Daytona in 1969. I was there. ("No Spica; English" was my
response to the "giornalisti" asking about such things.) Later, a
special actuating lever incorporating a cam profile to control the Spica
rack was designed by Autodelta and offered in the USA through the ARI
(Don Black) Performance Options Catalog. I spent almost 20 hours of dyno
time at Prototype Engineering with Ron Neal and Horst Kwech in 1972
trying to get it all to work properly and ended up "retro-fitting" the
engine with properly calibrated Webers which is what the
"Ausca-prepared" cars used also.

There's SO much more I could say, but I'll just send my

Best Regards,

Grinch