Unstable idling etc 164

I have a late 1993 164 T-spark which is behaving strangely in two situations.

1) The motor idles unevenly despite being serviced.

2) When driving at any speed in any gear(manual shift model) if I fully
release the gas pedal for a short period and then press gently there is a
flat spot followed by a kick and then repeated. The repeat is caused or
probably made worse by the involuntary movement of my foot due to the kick.
It gives the impression of a learner driver being behind the wheel in a
gear-shift model.

If I hit the gas pedal faster there is no apparent flat/kick, however the
problem may be masked by the engine management system.
The problem is more pronounced from time to time but is always there to
some degree.

My usual Alfa guru has no idea as to the cause.

Any ideas??

Tom O'Shea