Re: alfa-digest V7 #1148

In a message dated 11/09/1999 5:00:35 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Rentals in the US
 are automatics and kept as boring as possible to dissuade people from
 thrashing the cars.  I have no reason to believe that this isn't also the
 case on the other side of the pond, but it doesn't hurt to ask.   >>

Most Euro rentals are standard shifters and you have to specially request
(and possibly pay extra for) automatics, though I can't speak to that last
from personal experience.  I heard you can rent Alfas in London, but then I
heard the same about Rome and when we got there the cupboard was bare and we
wound up with a far lesser marque.  Moral: no automatics, no guarantees, and
Europeans aren't as neurotic when it comes to these things as Americans seem
to be.  I guess they expect the cars to be thrashed or the customers to know
how to drive.

Bon voyage,

Charlie
AROSC