ABS

I've read the posts about ABS systems with some interest.  I have never =
owned a car with ABS, and I have never driven one.  I know how to drive in =
snow or on ice, and have no need for ABS.  A while back there was an =
article in our local AROC chapter newsletter which caused me to think I =
may not want a car with ABS.  It seems that I remember it described two =
types of ABS dual circuit systems.

On one system, the first circuit controlled the left wheels, the second =
circuit controlled the right wheels.  On the other system, each circuit =
controlled one wheel on each side of the car in a cross pattern.  I don't =
know how ABS circuits are arranged on Alfas.

When driving on icy roads, quite often there is a patch of ice on one side =
of the driving lane, while the other lane is clear.  I think the article =
stated that system with the cross pattern would have one wheel in each =
circuit sensing slippage, and both circuits would activate.  This would =
greatly reduce braking ability.  With a car that does not have ABS, you =
can modulate braking effort yourself.  If the wheels on one side are =
slipping on an ice patch, but the wheels on the other side are on dry or =
damp pavement, braking will be more effective without ABS than with a =
cross circuit system.

Loyd Heimbruch
Barnum, MN

1978 Niki Lauda Spider #022