re: '89 Spider power windows died

Ron,

You said that you checked around a bit and found voltage on the window
circuit, I believe.  If you haven't already tried this, I would pull a
door panel and see if there is voltage at the connector for the window
motors, underneath the black plastic triangular cover on the top front
of the door panel.  Simply turn the key on, hold down the switch, and
check for voltage.

On the other hand (I don't remember how this thread began), if BOTH
windows have simultaneously failed, chances are good that the problem
lies somewhere upstream of this point, so maybe it's not worth your time
at this point.  If you get to a point where you wish to try, I can
supply you with more detailed instructions on door panel removal and
internal specifics.

Your basic understanding of how the circuit works is correct.  The
switch sends current to the motor, with polarity depending on whether
you push "up" or "down".  There are only 2 conductors, and the direction
of rotation of the motor depends on the polarity of the voltage supplied
to it.  Hence, it is not really accurate to speak of "hot" and "ground"
in this case.

Hal Taylor
'86 spider veloce "Strega" (who's seen her share of power window
problems).