Re: 1750 vs. 2000

Norm wrote: "An interesting reply to the earlier post that stated "a 1750 may
better a 2000 in street form but with a couple of tweaks the 2000 will
outperform the 1750." What about a few tweaks on the 1750? Having owned both
I can tell you that the 1750 is the best configuration for the Alfa four
cylinder on the street, due to the size and structure of the engine itself.
Especially the 71, tuned and running right. You will get much more useful Hp
and torque with the 1750. Just an actual observation."

Bob replies: I think I may have made the original statement.  If so, here's
what I had in mind.  One of the reasons I targetted early 70's gtvs was that
they were essentially de-tuned for US emissions regs.  The minor tweaks I was
referring to were: 1. retime the ignition, and 2. retime the cams.  I've
found that doing this time and again transforms the 2000.  Perhaps the 1750
could benefit as well.... a quick scan of the cam timing specs however does
not suggest that as the 1750 is already at 102/102 instead of the 114/102
timing on the 2000.  As far as ignition timing is concerned, the US 1750 is
retarded compared with the Euro version (can't wait until someone clips that
phrase and uses it out of context!), but the 2000 is even further retarded.

Once again, though, I fully admit I have no experience with 1750s, so my
impressions could be (and probabaly are) worthless.  Does anyone have
contemporary road tests of 1750s and 2000s to compare?  I have some at home,
but they're not with me now.

bob brady, dvaroc
74 gtv
88 verde