Milano idle

The idle on my 2.5 has crept up to the 1100 rpm mark lately.  A "smart"
mechanic told me to adjust the screw on the throttle plate, but I know
better than to do that.  So I did what the service book said: loosen the 19
mm nut on the intake plenum (passenger side) and then turn the 17 mm nut to
adjust the idle.  Problem is, no matter what I did, the idle stayed the
same.  I took out the entire idle adjust gizmo to see what it was like.
It's one tube sliding inside of another.  I don't know how this is supposed
to adjust the idle.  Maybe the difference in length between the two tubes
creates a pressure differential or something.

Any ideas on how to get the idle down to ~950 rpm?  Mechanically, the car is
in great shape with everything appearing to be working the way it should.

I'm also going to replace the plugs next week and will be making the switch
from Champions to NGK BPR7s.  I drive in a very spirited way (like we all
should) with the tach rarely below 3500-4000.  Anyone have experience with a
cold plug like this in the 2.5?

Thanks.

Gary