Crazy Milano Temperature

All this weekend my '87 Milano has been doing the following:

- -Starting from cold it takes way too long to get up to 175 (like
ten minutes. It hovers at 140-ish for some time before darting
upwards.
- -Once it gets to 175 it'll keep on going, to above 200, but not
high enough to either overheat or turn on the idiot light.
- -After hanging out around 200/210/220, it'll creep back down to
175, where it stays, and all is then good.

It's always had a coolant leak (a little one), but this morning
the overflow was virtually empty.
So: does this sound like the thermostat, water-pump, sender or
has the leak gotten worse? (can't tell because San Francisco
streets are VERY wet at the moment, and it's not due to Alfa
coolant and I've never been able to identify the leak).
I did replace the pulley for the water pump/ alternator a couple
of weeks ago and it's been squeeling since.

Cheers,
Neil.
'87 Milano Gold
San Francisco