More history questions

Ken Askew gave me a box of club documents, since I am interested in the
history of our club (did you know that AROC Detroit was the 1st Alfa club,
but did not join national until '68?)....

Anyway, among the box of stuff were newsletters from '72.  One of the
Colorado club 'letters had a BIG article about the 2.5 challenge at the
time, and a rather significant challenge between Bobcor and the Datsuns.
Apparently, there was an accepted challenge to take 2 bone stock 510's and a
bone stock 1750 and race them down the Baja peninsula and back- winner to
keep the losers car.  Does anybody know what happened here- if it really
took place and who won?

It really looked like the BRE and the Bobcor guys had a real rivalry here-
and I know the Alfas were getting the short end of the rules stick (of which
I don't know the details- I've just had a few dinners with the esteemed Mr.
Black).

This is real interesting stuff to me.  Trying to make sure we don't start
repeating history, and having the club fall into nothing....

Eric Storhok
Advanced Powertrain Engineering
Ford Motor Company