Why we drive

Got up early this morning. Rain clouds and wind gusts on Highway 1 south of
San Francisco. At San Gregorio I make a left onto Highway 84. Beautiful
undulating road through pastures and redwoods. A light rain starts. The few
cars on the road let me pass. I wave. The engine is growling at 5000 RPM in
2nd gear. The stereo is at low decibel until Jimmy Page starts to stroke
that Les Paul with a violin bow (BBC Sessions circa 1970 -- *Dazed &
Confused* -- oh yeah). The handling is more or less perfect. Body roll. But
it's still better than 3/4ths of the cars out there.

At Sky Honda at the interection of 84 and 35 (Skyline) I stop in the parking
lot. A few bikers (mostly Beemers) are there having braved the elements.
Suddenly a trio of cars pulls in. A 50s-era Speedster followed by two
right-hand drive roadsters -- a Bugati and an MG. The MG has leaf-spring
front suspension. Wow. Their pit stop lasts only a few minutes but not until
everyone has crowded around admiring and asking questions. I shadow them for
a mile or so. The Bugati seems fairly quick and handles well. The MG is
slower but the two drivers in leather caps and wool jackets are having a
great time.

As I headed towards civilization I got to thinking about the '66 Citroen DS
my family used to own. We went everywhere in California with that most
spectacular of cars. Push button start, hydraulic suspension, and a 4 on the
tree!

Charles De Gaulle, c'est bon.

Paul cuadra@domain.elided

164LS 5-speed