Fuel for thought

Higher octane gas does nothing but waste your money. The only
qualifications are if your engine needs the extra octane to avoid
detonation, pinging, knocking, pinking, or whatever you wish to call it, if
your engine management system has a knock sensor which allows the turbo
boost or ignition advance to be modified to raise the bmep in the cylinders
so that detonation could occur were it not for the higher octane (usually
this is a feedback loop through the knock sensor and the ECU), or you have
a strange need to get the extra cleaning power of the higher "detergent"
action of premium fuels. I doubt any street car, and probably no streetable
car, would benefit from octane much above 94.

BTW, in winter climes the formulation of gasoline sold at retail is altered
every spring and fall. Generally, winter formulations have higher
volatility so as to reduce wetting out of fuel due to extremely cold metal
surfaces inside the engine. FI engines are relatively insensitive to this
effect, but at minus 30 Celsius, even the spark plugs can become wet with
fuel on  a cold start (often a cold non start as a result). This higher
volatility can cause vapour lock problems in warmer conditions, so every
spring the fuel is adjusted back to summer formulation. Again, FI engines
with high pressure fuel delivery do not suffer from vapour lock nearly as
much as carburretted engines
.
However, this may explain some odd problems experienced by some drivers as
the seasons change, especially if the car is driven infrequently. My SAAB
Turbo runs better on summer formulation fuel and my ALFA 164 prefers winter
formulation. In fact, at about minus 5 Celsius with winter fuel my 164 just
gets up and goes...until the engine gets really warm (nearly never in
winter here!).

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada