RE: Crashes (No Alfa content)

Something has been gnawing at me since early in Sunday's tragic CART race.
Upon reviewing Richie Hearn's crash one of the ESPN commentators said that it
appeared that Hearn "followed the latest theory" and hit the accelerator as
he began to loose the rear end, with the goal of causing the car to do a 360
on the track rather than going off the track. Obviously it didn't work
(assuming that the commentator was correct in his appraisal of the
situation). I have never heard of this technique (I am not a racer) but the
though of it seems to be _very_ questionable, and leaves me cold wondering if
this technique might have been a contributing factor in Greg Moore's crash.
Any comments?

John Katos