Re: alfa return redux

I was listeing to Bloomberg radio yesterday, and they had reported some sales
figures for foreign manufacturers.

It seems to me that some of these low volume manufacturers are making money
here, if not setting the world on fire. Nor would they expect to anyway. But
Land Rover, for instance has only sold 3000 vehicles nationwide to date,
which is fewer than the 164 did in certain years. Jaguar, on the success of
their new smaller sedans, sold 26,000 units nationwide finally eclipsing
their 1987 record, which was based essentially on two models.

But it seems to me that those wondering if Alfa will ever come back are
missing a key point, and that is the cost of coming back will come to far
more than the cost of leaving. Domestic dealer and support relationships are
gone.  Marketing relationships were severed, and people who would have wished
to work for Alfa in the U.S. have not been developed by continuing
employment.

In the meantime, the report said that all of  the foreign manfacturuers have
had banner years in sales. So Alfa has blundered on two scores: It missed out
on what could have been a very strong sales trend as new models would have
been introduced, and it has made it's return doubly expensive over what it
would have cost to endure a few money losing years (which all car companies
suffer through.) When I think what Audi suffered after the "60 Minutes"
hatchet job on the 5000, and yet stubbornly continued it's presence to come
back with great success, and how Alfa just picked up and left leaving it's
fiercely loyal owners in the lurch, I sometimes wonder why we are so
tolerant. Already, a British Classic Car magazine reports that the success of
the 156 and 166 models are lifting the values of older models and that is
something we will not enjoy here.

So when the Alfa flacks tell us it's just too expensive to come back, it is
of course true. What they are not saying is that it was their decision to
leave that turned whethering a storm into climbing Mount Everest barehanded.
This was a boneheaded decision.