Terry and Sharon Atkins wrote:
><<      Finally, does anyone know how to replace the trunk lid release cable
>on  a Milano?
and Russ Neely answered:
>    This is not the answer to your question, just a suggestion.
>    Remove the license plate and all the supporting items behind it.  Look
>inside the trunk and drill a 1/2 inch or smaller hole in the sheet metal
>between the taillights such that a screwdriver through the hole will hit the
>release lever.  Then replace everything, secure in the knowledge that when
>both cables break, you will have a way into the trunk!

Actually, there is a hole there already, which the factory seems to have
provided just for this purpose.
I only found this out after both cables on my Verde broke at the same time.
 I got into the trunk by having my small-handed 8-year old reach into the
trunk and grab the broken end of the emergency release cable with
vice-grips!  After that I replaced the nylon emergency cable with a braided
steel one.  Much more secure.

Turning back to the original question, if you buy a replacement for the
main trunk release cable from Alfa, you get a complete assembly, including
a new sheath and mounting hardware.  Installing the whole thing is a pain,
because you have to remove the rear seat and the driver's seat to snake the
new sheath into place.  The easy way is to pull the broken cable out of the
car, leaving the sheath in place, then take the new braided cable out of
its sheath and slide it into the car where the old one was.  The new sheath
can be discarded.  By the way, I have started tying the end of the new
cable around the latch before screwing on the cable end, to spread out the
strain.

If I were doing this job now, I wouldn't bother with the factory cable at
all.   Hardware stores sell braided cable and an assortment of crimp- and
screw-on cable ends.  I'd use those to make up a cable with the right kind
if end to engage with the trunk release lever on the floor for just a few
dollars.

Dana Loomis

End of alfa-digest V7 #1137