Winterizing a Spider, California-style

Yeah, I know, it's a cruel title for those of you who have to put your
cars into hibernation... :-)

I remember, when reading the owner's manual for my '74 Spider, that the
Spica unit has a three-position lever -- N, for normal temps, C, for
cold temps, and F, for freezing.

While I'm certainly capable of looking in the manual and comparing the
outside temperatures to the chart in the book, I'm looking for
over-the-road experience with San Francisco Bay Area listers with
Spica-injected Alfas.  Does anyone here bother to change it, or can we
basically leave it in N year-round?  Jack, what's the word from the
world's highest-mileage GTV?

- --Scott "Winter means I put the top up when parked overnight" Fisher