tensioning cables eyelets on a Spider soft top

I'm halfway through replacing the soft top on my 86 Spider and noticed after
a precursory look over the new top that it doesn't have the eyelets in it
for the tensioning cables to run through like the original does. My question
is do I need to put some form of eyelet in or will the top survive without?

After hearing all the horror stories about removing the 22 corroded bolts
around the rear of the top, I was pleasantly surprised to find that all mine
came undone without any resistance whatsoever! Which makes me think there is
something else lurking in the reassembly process that is just waiting to
catch me out when I come to put the new top on. I've repaired the hood bows
that had broken at 2 of the hinge points and all that was left of the steel
channel for the front rubber gasket was lots of little brown bits - I
couldn't believe the gasket just hadn't fallen out yet! I have the alfa top
manual and the Caribou notes, anyone have any other suggestions before I
make an irreversible mistake and mess up a new top!

Thanks in advance

Warren Reid
Melbourne Australia

86 Spider Veloce