Buying a GTV

If I may .........

the simple fact is that anyone who is interested in owning a nice GTV that
does not need to make it "his own" via blood and treasure will be wayyyyyy
ahead by buying one already prepared for the road.

I have a '74 2000 GTV which I love.  It runs beautifully; however, it needs
to be made into a racer or restored for street *or* it will deteriorate
before my very eyes.  I had hoped to finish the car because it is LeMans
Blue, a color I like very much and that is somewhat unusual.  Nevertheless,
I have had to face the fact that it is not remotely economically feasible
to "save" the car.  This sure as hell never stopped me before, but it
really ought to this time.

I suggest that Scott's friend buy one that is finished.  If he really must
do the resto thing (No, I do not mean a "Pebble Beach" resto.), let him do
it while he is enjoying a running model.

Having said that, please understand that I am not implying anything about
the "actual" value of the car.  We all know that, for example, $10K or less
is not uncommon for a very nice GTV indeed.  However, spend a moment
imagining another used car for $10K that offers as much as a GTV.  Forget
about it.

Hell, I will sell my solid Arizona GTV for $3500 to someone who wishes to
enjoy a great runner driver.  However, a new interior alone is about $2K -
isn't that right?  $3K for an acceptable paint job - ?  Add a set of tires
and we're talking $8K with nothing else touched.

It would be awful if someone who knew nothing about Alfas became
disillusioned while resurrecting a beater.  If the car seems "rough" now,
just wait until you get into it.

No, not at all the best way to begin a relationship with Alfa Romeo.

David

PS          I have a very fine resto candidate (runner driver) Jaguar for
sale or for trade (SS?).  '54 XK120 Special Equipment.  $18K.        I am
putting my energy into a clone of it - a '52.