Milano Stumper

Okay Milano experts, here's a puzzler for you:

My '88 verde just started acting weirder.  The other day, I was sitting at a
traffic light and noticed that the high temp light had illuminated.  Oddly,
the temperature guage was high, but not high enough for the high temp light
to go on.  The cooling fan was on, and the temperature was dropping.

As I drove away, the temperature returned to normal (~175), but the high temp
light stayed on.  The fan shut off, as I would have expected it to.

Since then, the high temp light behaves in the same manner... but... now
here's the weird part... if I rev the engine above say 4000 rpm, the light
goes out.  If I let it idle, it goes back on, even though the indicated
temperature is normal and the fan has not come on.

Any ideas?  I'm assuming that since the fan switch and the temperature
indicator are independent, that the car is not in fact overheating.  I'm also
assuming that the high temp light sender is faulty, but why would revving the
engine make it go out?  Is it possible that the positive cable connections
need to be cleaned and dressed?

Stumped in PA.

bob brady