cigarette seals

I did mine about 3 weeks ago and in doing so I tried many different methods.
The best and easiest is as follows.
Just before seal installation remove the rear main bearing cap and coat the
chamfer along the bottom with a thin smear of "3 Bond liquid grey".
You do this just before seal insertion because you want any that is pushed
out into the seal passages to be still soft.

Next coat the seals in the same stuff (just a smear) then using your pre
made tool push them home.

The seal will stick out a little after insertion DON'T CUT OFF THE EXCESS

You must put the sump on immediately after seal installation so that the RTV
is still soft and the seal can still compress.

The pre made tool is simplicity itself

Using a sharp 10mm drill and a drill press drill a hole in a piece of
plastic around the same depth as the seal is long
Put the seal into the drilled hole and sit it on the block above the hole.
Using the 10 mm drill bit as a plunger push the seal into the block.(make
sure you cover the sharp end of the drill with something or you will cut
your hand.

My mechanic told me to simply put the cap down at the same time as the
seals.... Ie don't use a tool. I couldn't get this method to work at all.
The tool was the way to go.

Matthew Dooher
89 164 A With a lovely leak free V6
Dunedin, New Zealand