Garage service pits

Garage service pits are very dangerous, and should not be installed in a =
residential garage.  It is considered a Confined Space by OSHA, and =
requires ventilation to enter the pit.  Ventilation of the garage is not =
enough, the pit itself must be ventilated with exhaust air drawn out of =
the bottom of the pit.

The service pit is also considered a Class 1 Division 1 Hazardous Location =
(most hazardous).  The area adjacent to the pit is considered a Class 1 =
Division 2 Hazardous Location, unless the pit is ventilated.  Actually, =
everything below a certain height, something like 24" above the garage =
floor would be Class  Division 2.  I don't remember exactly, I will have =
to look it up when I design another commercial service facility.

This means that the garage is now considered an explosive environment, =
because of the flammable vapors which will collect at the bottom of the =
pit, and will not dissipate without proper ventilation.

Still, what would concern me most is the confined space situation, where =
toxic fumes will be present at the bottom of the pit, and will not =
dissipate without proper ventilation.

I would recommend never building a residential garage with a service pit =
without a proper ventilation system.  Actually, I would recommend not =
having the pit at all, but design the garage with some type of a lift.

Back to Lurking...

Loyd Heimbruch, Barnum, MN
Electrical designer, LHB Engineers & Architects
Volunteer Firefighter, Blackhoof Fire Department

1978 Niki Lauda Spider #022