igarette Seals

Greetings from Australia,

I am doing my first Alfa engine rebuild and need some advice on the
cigarette seals.
I have read all the past posts about freezing the seals etc and will do all
this.

My question is whether you should coat the seals with something like a non
hardening gasket cement before you install them.
I seem to remember someone suggesting a very light coat of RTV sealant
around them, but having seen bits of rubber floating around the oil pickup
of my engine when I pulled it down, from its use around the sump gasket, I
am reluctant to use it anywhere near the engine.

FInally the manual is a bit obscure about the assembly procedure of the rear
main bearing area. I assume you install the main bearing and cap first, then
the cigarette seals and finally the main rear oil seal. Is this right?.

I was very impressed with the general condition of the engine when I pulled
it down. Bores were stil good, one broken ring, good little end bushes and
an unmarked crank.
I'm still replacing pistons and liners and bearings but will hang on to the
old pistons and liners for future budget rebuilds.

Regards
Marty Wilson
Newcastle Australia
1976 Spider