Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City

In a message dated 10/31/1999 11:57:34 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<<
 Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 18:24:40 -0800
 From: "Paul   Witek" <shempmodin@domain.elided>
 Subject: Early Alfa VVT

 The 1980 Spider did indeed have Variable Valve Timing, but unlike 1982 and
later cars, the 1980 and 1981 versions had a purely mechanical form of
variable valve timing.  They appeared the same time as the mono-butterfly
version of Spica.

 When Alfa switched to Bosch FI instead of Spica in 1982, the VVT became the
electro-mechanical version more commonly seen.

 The '80-'81 version appears to be retro-fittable to earlier cars - it's all
contained in the intake cam drive gear assembly, which does require a cam
cover with a taller front section.   Whether or not you'd actually want to is
debatable.

 - - Paul Witek