Re: 3.0L Fuel Injection Question - Milano Verde

> There is a valve/cavity/sensor at the junction of where the 2 fuel
> runners that feed the injectors come together, on the front of the
> engine, forward of the injectors,  just near the timing belt cover.
> Out of the top of that device is a fuel hose, which feeds a metal
> fuel line that heads back under the engine bay.

This is the fuel pressure relief valve. The hose is the return line
to the fuel tank.

> With the ignition key on (engine not running), I heard some
> 'hissing/sputtering' coming from this device and tried to find out
> what was causing it - I splashed soapy water around it but could see
> nothing.  I removed the fuel hose from the top of it and checked for
> all the usual suspects.  I could find nothing wrong; except the
> 'hissing/sputtering'.

When the fuel pump is running on my car with the engine stopped I
hear similar noises. I'm not sure if I should or not! It's probably
caused by bubbles in the incoming fuel ( cavitation at the pump
mebee) should the fuel dash pot stop them from reaching the regulator
?? (There should be someone who knows on the Digest :)

Now here's a problem, I don't think you should be hearing anything
until your AirFlow Meter is opened. (Big alloy thing with a black
plastic top, just after the air filter)  Basically one job of the AFM
is to switch off the fuel pump when the engine is not running,
this is for safety in the event of an accident.

The most probable cause would be a sticking  AFM, or that it has been
adjusted by a DPO. Also suspect a sticking dual relay, though the
normally fail casing the pump to stop, not to keep it running.

Good luck!

Ivan (ivan@domain.elided)
Leamington, UK
Alfa 75 3.0V6 America