RE Carcoon, Car Capsule storage, et al

Tom and Jon have provoked me to write with an idea that previously seemed
perhaps too complicated to pull off; however ..................

I have not used the Carcoon, but I had stored my 750F in a CarCapsule.  I
am extremely pleased with this device.  The Capsule includes a low power
fan which keeps the capsule inflated and also - most important - allows a
constant flow of air to pass through the capsule (air is released through
the zipper which follows the perifery of the capsule.  This is not to
denigrate the CarCoon which I have not used.

I appreciate very much the fact that the capsule is made of transparent
plastic which allows one to appreciate the car and watch over it closely.

I have been in my garage working many times during the winter (East Troy,
WI) and have used propane heat which produces a tremendous amount of
moisture.  Here in Wisconsin one does not need to use propane to observe
amazing accumulations of condensation on anything metal especially.

I have used the plastic moisture barrier as suggested - an excellent idea -
; however, this is in no way IMHO an answer to storage problems.  Despite
moisture barriers and other factors that would limit condensation, I have
watched, for example, an early Jeepster rust away before my eyes in a
relatively few years.

Rust is insidious and unrelenting in all but ideal conditions.  My simple
point, with the Capsule - even under the most threatening conditions - my
750F remained  bone dry and pristine throughout its storage.  However, as
soon as I removed it in spring, condensaton and rust was evident.  (For
example, metal fasteners such as nuts and bolt heads quickly showed surface
rust, of course.

I am prepared to purchase at least one more of these units or as many as I
can afford.  I have 2 rust free XK120 SEs.  The '54 - for sale BTWn (a
superior resto candidate/runner driver - has been in garage storage for 2
years.  In this short time, without capsule, one could observe the
beginnings of what could easily develop into serious rust problems, inside
headlight cavaties e.g.

And so, I am playing with the idea of a group buy; what do you think about
approaching some sellers who might offer us the best deal.  (I purchased
mine from a Lotus Parts dealer in Quacker Town, Penn.)  The unit comes in
various lengths for cars and motorcycles.  My medium length 750 cap also
holds a motorcycle !

I look forward to your response to this idea.

From: TJCallahan@domain.elided
Subject: re: CarCoon

In AD v7n1121, Jon wrote:

<<PS. Anyone have any experience with CarCoon products? I've seen them
advertised in Sports Car Market etc, and logged on to their website
(www.carcoon.com). Looks like a great way to keep the car dry in the garage
during winter storage. Thoughts?>>

While I don't have experience with CarCoon, I do have some experience with
long term storage. My '63 Spider was on jacks in a garage for 20+ years and
ended up with little underbody corrosion because I had placed a layer of
plastic on the floor first. This kept the moisture that normally comes up
through the concrete slab from the bottom of the car.

I had originally put the plastic on the floor to protect the floor from all
the oil/grease/dirt as I began the "restoration" of the car. Years passed
(the garage was my mothers and I was living in my own places, not near her
garage) and I finally got my own garage and moved the car. I noticed that the
underside, which had been partially sandblasted, was still fresh and, in
spots, had only a light surface corrosion showing (almost light enough to
"wipe"off). It seems the plastic sheet on the floor served as an amazing
barrier. Dumb luck triumphs again!

Don't know much about the whole bag, but the layer on the concrete floor is
imperative!

ciao

Tom
'63 Spider