Re: consensus

Well... I can *verify* that the left-hand lug nuts on my '67 Junior are
reverse-threaded -- we can go out in my garage and try to remove them.

I *did*, in fact, once play a very, very mean trick on my long-suffering
and adorable wife with those lug nuts.  I was finishing up replacing the
front brake pads on the Junior, about a year and a half ago, and as Kim
walked past she asked if there was anything she could to do help.

"Sure," I said, just as Poe's imp of the perverse took over my soul for
a moment.  "I'm done with the left front, why don't you put that wheel
back on the car -- just finger-tighten the nuts, I'll torque them down
later."  What perfidy I showed, what undeserved anguish I caused!

I am ashamed to admit this now, and I promise I'll never, never do it
again.  And I'll never ask her to gap a Golden Lodge plug for me again,
either.  (I probably just better not even mention the story of the
Oxwall wrench, or I'll be nominated for the starring role in a
re-enactment of the Eleusinian Mysteries...)

> In AD7-1119 Simon Favre writes " Note that this is the opposite of
> the way LH/RH lug nuts were done on the 50's and 60's Alfas."

He's probably right.  I've been sitting here for five minutes trying to
remember whether I used to whang on the FRONTS of the knock-offs to
loosen them or to tighten them, and I can't; I always looked at the
label on the nuts, which said >>>-UNDO--> on one side and <--UNDO-<<< on
the other, and I can't remember which side was which.

- --Scott "Villain! Dissemble no more!" Fisher
  Sunnyvale, CA