Horseback Riding 101 (No Alfa Content)

Gosh, sorry I missed the beginning of this thread!
Been too busy taking care of my old horse, I guess.

The left side of the horse is the near side.
The right side of the horse is the off side.

You mount and dismount from the near (left) side.

Be sure that the reins are in your left hand, on top
of the horse's neck.  Pull yourself up into the saddle
by placing your left foot into the stirrup, your right
hand on the back edge of the saddle, and spring up off
of your right foot.

Please try not to stab the horse in the mouth or the
gut as you get on and off.

"whoa" means slow down or stop, as does a good
constant pull on the reins.  If that doesn't work,
head 'em into a fence line or a tree...that'll stop
him!

P.S.  Don't act timid, 'cause most horses have a mean
sense of humor.  ;)

Good luck!

Diane
NE Ohio

'74 bay American Morgan Horse gelding (1 bhp)
'91 silver Spider Veloce
'80 black Spider Veloce
'96 green GMC Sierra 2500