Hole In Piston!

Bad ju-ju for my GTV6. Heard a bad noise and lost power the other day.
Immediately shut the car down and towed it to my mechanic. After taking a
look inside, we found the following mess:

(1) The end of the #2 plug was mangled and broken off.
(2) The rod for the exhaust valve has become disconnected and was laying in
the head.
(3) The cup for the rod was out.
(4) Valve was bent.
(5) The pistion has a hole in it.
(6) The gaps on some of the other plugs are very narrow or closed -- as if
something whacked them.
(7) Other than #2, things look OK -- viewing with only the valve covers off.

The timing belt didn't break and didn't appear to slip. I would guess that
based on the amount of metal flying around that the head needs work in
addition to the obvious repairs indicated above. Will find out soon.
What would/could cause this mess? And, any ideas about what additional
damage I can expect to find as we get into this more? Can anyone enlighten
me? This seems like a very strange scenario. Thanks in advance for the help.

Jim
86 GTV6
91 Spider
69 GTV