Re: AFM and E30 M3

First of all, I would like to clarify that MAF and AFM are one and the
same. But I have conveniently referred to MAF as the hot-wire and AFM for
the flapper. Of course this is technically incorrect. The other way of
getting input from the intake system is through manifold pressure (MAP
sensor) used on most Japanese cars. I was told that MAP equipped cars
can't take advantage of higher density air. I dunno.

Secondly the E30 M3 (S14) is a highly modfied street engine. It has
multiple throttle, hot cams, hi-po internals, and is also a 4-valve
engine. It would probably benefit more from lower restriction that a
hot-wire AFM/MAF would provide.

We alfa owners with 2-valve engines, stock everything, would probably see
5-10 hp at best. A dyno of a stock 944 (2.5L SOHC 2-Valve) produced a
10-hp gain on a dynojet. Optimistic? Who knows...But once you add S-cams
and big everything, you'd probably see higher gains without the flap
choking your car.

Lastly, splitsecond may have a problem trying to get our Jetronic
flap type AFM/MAF to work with the hot-wire AFM/MAF. 164 owners may be
able to use the system. Or any of you with late model Alfa 75 3.0s with
Motronic.

If anyone has any info, please post it on the digest.

Thanks.

Zamani

End of alfa-digest V7 #1116