Re: the Reincarnatable Car

Scott Fisher's meditation on how "One of the more endearing features of the
older cars that I've enjoyed for the past ten years or so was the degree to
which the cars were designed so that the consumable portions could be easily
removed, renewed or replaced, and the car continue operating" is exactly on
the mark.

The extent to which this philosophy pervaded Alfa Romeo's thinking in the
Golden (preFiat) Years is obvious in going through the parts book, where the
most critical consumable portion invariably has Pride of Place on the first
page of the "Carrozzeria" section; in my case part # 105.45.49.000.03, the
1750 GT Veloce body shell, painted, trimmed and glazed. Also
105.44.49.300.03, the same, untrimmed and in primer. Or # 105.48.49.000.00,
the 1750 Berlina. Even the Sprint Zagatos (101.26.49.000.00 for the
roundtail, 101.26.49.000.01/01 for the Kamm-tail) are listed; so also the
earlier Sprints; even the 1900 Super Sprint (148408711) as well as all
Berlinas from the 1900, 102, 106, 105. The only exception among roofed cars
is the Sprint Speciale, which one had to buy panel-by panel. The Spiders,
with the single exception of the 750 Giuliettas, seem not to have been
available as complete bodies, which is probably why Godfrey DiGiorgi had to
recycle a second-hand body on his.

Oddly, none of my "List of Recommended Spare Parts Prices" books include the
prices for the complete shells, but if anyone knows of a NOS 1750 coupe or
sedan shell, trimmed or untrimmed, gathering dust behind some defunct
dealership, I would be interested  - -

John H.