gtv6 alternator light flicker

My GTV6 is not pleased. Its alternator light started
flickering all of the sudden. It has always glowed a
bit if i drove down a street with no lights, but now
it is coming on and off. It seems to come on more at
higher revolutions, and it pretty much goes off at
idle.
The system seems to be fine for now. I drove back with
this condition for 15 miles and the next morning, it
started at least 4 times and ran with no problems. The
voltage, measured at the battery is 17 V. with engine
off, and 15.3 with the engine running (idling).
I wandered whether the cause was the infamous
alternator voltage regulator, but the rest of the
lights do not dim, just the warning light.
The alternator belt seems happy, turning, with about a
1/4 inch slack or so.
I looked on the CarDisc CD-Rom and the gtv6.org site,
but found no obvious clues, other than the "take apart
the alternator" procedure.
Similar experiuence, next troubleshooting step?

thx in advance
luke, San Mateo

74 Spider (center support bought, just waiting to pay
those real estate taxes, checkbook method on that
one).

82 GTV6 (flicker on, flicker off, the Italian version
of "The Clapper")

95 164 LS, for sale or trade for vintage Alfa.
http://www.usethat.com/164.htm