Re: 164 Blown Head Gasket

Karl Robrock <robrock@domain.elided> writes...

> ...This would indicate to me that oil is leaking into the coolant
system, and
> most likely through a blown head gasket.  ...

Karl-  I would suggest doing the job right and have both heads overhauled
and thus both gaskets replaced.  However, pulling the heads on the 164
(especially the rh side), is not a job for the faint of heart.  Check my
articles on Colin's page for further details.  Again, it's not an easy
job.  Because it's not an easy job, it will also likely cost you more
than $800 to have someone do the job for you.  Just to properly overhaul
the heads you're looking at a number close to that figure.

Brad Anesi
'91 Project 164Q 5-speed