Re: alfa-digest V7 #1109

In a message dated 10/21/1999 11:32:18 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< When do we stop
 pouring money into a
 car? ...What about y'all?  When do you give up on a
 car? >>

I bought my 71 spider w/ about 68k miles and in pretty good original shape
and enjoyed it for several years.  It was my first Alfa and it surprised me
with its outstanding reliability.  After several years I was doing better
financially and the car was older and needed work, so I did a
semi-restoration that included rebuilding the engine (now at about 105k
miles), a new top, new upholstery, a little minor body work, a paint job, new
tires, and a basic going-over of all systems, everything else being in
basically good shape or already new (even the gas tank thanks to my BW).
About 1600 miles later I got rear-ended (is that Murphy's Law at work?) and
had the body damage repaired and the car repainted again.  Flash forward
quite a few more years.  Both the car and I are now older, w/ more miles on
the clock.  Things are starting to get tatty, the top is leaking, the seal
around the windows need replacing, someone hooked onto the SS rear bumper in
a clumsy attempt to back out of an adjoining parking space and tore it half
off, denting a rear fender at the attachment point, and took off for parts
unknown.  And I was starting to have more and more days when I had to swap
cars with my BW so I could ferry clients and employees and others around
town.  It all felt like after 14 years it was time to move up, and I was
starting to get the GTV6 virus something fierce.  So, I sold the spider,
bought the GTV6 (which I am still excited driving) and then realized it was
one of the biggest mistakes I ever made, even though I got just what I'd paid
for it some 14 years before.

Moral: if you like the Milano auto, why not keep it?  You might sell it as
too used-up to repair and then repent later on.  Besides, as was mentioned by
someone else, what else could you be driving you would like half as much for
the $3k it's worth plus the estimated $3k in work it needs?  All told, that's
not much for a car these days, unless you find a nice, low-mileage auto
Milano in a color you like!

Best luck!

Charlie
LA, CA, USA