Fix vs decommission

I want to thank everybody who responded to my dilema about fixing my Milano
versus looking for another Alfa.  I spoke to my dealer (also a mechanic)
and his mechanic today.  Both men are very honest, have decades of Alfa
knowledge... and have different opinions! <g>  The mechanic is wondering
how bad some of the problems are, the dealer thinks it's time to stop
putting money into the Milano.

Now coincidentally, the dealer is selling his wife's Milano Gold.  Like
mine, it is an automatic (great for commute traffic!) a 1988 model as well,
but with a LOT fewer miles... only 26k miles total.  I've driven the car
before, and it's nice.  There is one area of bad paint (sun exposure) but
the car has been maintained well (no surprise, eh?)

An advantage of the Gold is that the brakes are "normal".  No ABS pump to
die.  And the price is fairly reasonable: $4500.  Silvery-beige exterior,
tan cloth interior.

What I've decided to do is invest in a couple of hours of shop time for
both men to drive my car, listen to the engine, tranny, check the steering
rack.  Then I'll take their reports and make a decision.  Even though the
dealer wants to sell me a car <g> I've known him for a number of years and
can trust him for an honest opinion.

Thanks again, folks!  (And if you're going to Eureka Springs this weekend,
have a safe trip and I'll see you there!)

Howard K. Warren, Little Rock, AR
1984 GTV-6, "Falconi", 132k miles
1991 164L, "Peregrine", 63k miles
1988 Milano Platinum, "SnowHawk", 164k miles