Power windows - spider

Several people have commented on their power windows not working. While I had
not commented, I had the same problem. It seems that Alfa designed the circuit
so that a relay would carry all the current, BUT SO DOES THE SWITCH! All the
motor current goes thru the switch, then thru the motor, then thru the relay.
It seems that rewiring would be in order to have the current only flow thru the
relay, but this would be difficult at best. However, to NOT have the current
flow thru the switch would require FOUR relays; one for "UP" and one for "DOWN"
for EACH window.
To do a temporary fix, I repaired the switch by removing it from the console,
then snapping off the thin metal frame surrounding the top of the switch. A
thin blade screwdriver works well. Next, I carefully cut the edge of the two
plastic pins in the bottom of the switch that holds the two switch halves
together. Once the excess plastic is removed, the two halves of the switch may
easily be pried apart. Then, remove the contact parts of the switch, and very
gently file the contacts clean. There is a center contact that is a flat blade
that the moving parts contact. Clean this up too. Once the parts are clean,
reassemble them, and reassemble the switch. I would suggest a spot of
silicone-type glue to hold everything together, and make it possible to redo
the job at a later time.
After reinstalling the switches, my windows moved faster than I ever recall
seeing them move, up or down! It looks like the switch is the weak link in the
circuit. I did see where IAP has the replacement switch listed in their catalog
for about $20 each.
Note that if one window works, the switch may be swapped to the other side to
verify that it is the switch that is at fault.
Good luck,
Len