Re: Ice and Castrol R

Matt replied to the following and wrote:

<<
 >PS, the former local Alfa shop recommended that people with spica fuel
 >injection add oil to the last tank of gas and to run the engine until the
 >exhaust gasses turn blue. This will ensure no rust in the fuel injector
 >(nor in the fuel pump or exhaust system) over the winter months. I think
 >Castrol R is a reasonable choice, takes me back to my old motorcycle days,
 >love that smell of 2-stroke oil. Just don't try to sell your car until you
 >have burned off that last tank of gas.

 Castrol R is Castrol Racing (castor oil).  It may have been used in
 2-strokes, but it was also used in (primarily intended for?) 4-strokes.
 And yes, the smell warps me straight back to the sixties, watching watching
 Mike Hailwood variously on MV, Honda and Benelli, mixing it (but not for
 long) around Mallory Park with a gaggle of Norton, AJS and Matchless
 singles, and the odd Macchi twin.

 Cheers
 Mat
 Mike the Bike and daughter, RIP.

Alfisti be forewarned:
Castrol R is not compatible with regular petoleum based oils. Castrol R is a
castor bean oil. You can't top up with the latter on a sump filled with the
former, and vice versa. In fact, it is recommended that you only consider
using Castrol R if your engine has been  carefully flushed with flushing oil
to remove all traces of the petro oil,or freshly rebuilt, and the same again
if you want to go back to petro oils.