Howard's "predicament"

 Howard Warren is having what sounds like a moral crisis over the prospect of
spending $3,000 maintenance on a Milano Plat that is probably worth only
$3,000.

Might I suggest that, if he is not planning on selling it, the $3,000 that it
is "worth" is irrelevant?

It is his favorite commuter car, the body is still in beautiful shape, it has
been perfectly reliable, he has had it 24 months, and he faces the prospect
of adding $125 more maintenance charges per month of past use to whatever
bills he has already paid. Uh-huh.

Alternately, he could lease a new Alfa for maybe $600 a month, if he could
lease a new Alfa.

But he is concerned that "Murphy's Law implies that if I *DO* spend the
money, either the automatic tranny or the ABS pump will blow next." There
goes another $3,000 on a car that is still worth only $3,000, IF he is
planning on selling it - -

So, worst case, he spends ten, twelve thousand on engine, driveline,
transaxle, paint, upholstery, sound system, stainless exhaust, powder-coating
the wheels, new tires, and a mink stole for Mrs. Warren.

Gee whillikers, for that kind of money you can get a newish Camry, or a
Saturn- which should be worth $3,000 three or four years from now-

Horns of a dilemma, Howard. Good luck, and Godspeed-

John H.