headlight condensation

I had this problem with my 164.  My mechanic attributed it not to the seal around the bulb, but to a leak where the plastic housing joins the glass.

I got temporary relief by removing the headlight assembly.  This takes about 10 min. with an 8mm wrench (nice case aluminum frame holding it in place!).  I think that you must remove the turn signal, too.  I then shook out as much water as possible and then put the remainder in solution by dumping in some rubbing alcohol, for faster drying.  Final drying was done in my oven for a few hours at low temp.  Also gooped the glass/plastic seam with silicon sealant.

This lasted for some months.  Not sure whether the sealant helped or it just took that long for the condensation to become visible.  Rather than spend the $$ for a new one, I'll probably whack it in the oven again.  We don't drive it much in the country and visibility isn't an issue in the city.  Aesthetics are another issue.

Robert Hardwick, Seattle (no lack of moisture!)