Salt, etc.

In AD7-1102 Kevin Trent reported on a web database covering recall campaigns,
and gave as an example 1974 Berlinas "EXPOSED TO SMOKE, HEAT, AND SEA WATER
VAPORS DURING A FIRE THREE DECKS BELOW ON BOARD THE TRANSPORT VESSEL DURING
ITS TRANSATLANTIC CROSSING. (CORRECT BY REPLACING VEHICLE WITH A NEW VEHICLE
OF THE SAME MODEL)"

Coincidentally the day before an ex-ARI executive had mentioned to me a
famous incident (which I had never heard of) of about 200 Alfas which the
company declared "totaled" after a shipboard fire/flooding- the insurance
company paid ARI off, took possession of the cars, and sold the cars to a
salvager who then sold them to dealers. He mentioned that some of the cars
had visible 'waterlines' on the tachs and speedometers. And to ultimate
customers, Alfa's quality control (and, no doubt, slovenly and/or inebriated
workers) caught the blame.

Years ago I had heard of a new Giulietta Spider on the showroom floor at
Chuck Stoddard's, in Ohio, in which part of the exterior trim fell off
between the time the building doors were locked one evening and opened the
next morning- attributed to rust from salt-water immersion in transit.

Endless possibilities for apocrypha. Perhaps these incidents are why they
used uncorrodable plastic for the stepper gears?

John