Watery fuel

Talk to us Canadians about water in the fuel. Trust me, the water coming
from your exhaust isn't necessarily coming from your fuel supplier. At
least you shouldn't worry too much about water from the exhaust because
your engine creates some water with every combustion event, regardless of
whether your fuel was "dry" or not. Dirty fuel is a big problem, water is
no problem.

We get water in our fuel every winter from the normal breathing of the fuel
tank and the daily temperature cycling. In fact, if you get enough without
dealing with it, you can sometimes hear the chunk of ice doinging in the
fuel tank!!! Water sinks to the bottom of the tank. In Canada, the water
can freeze in the fuel tank, causing no problems at all until it warms up.
Modern FI being what it is this usually happens on a longish highway run as
the hot surplus fuel gets dumped back into the tank, melts the ice, then
the fuel pump sucks it up and either the engine dies from total fuel
starvation or lurches and stumbles as it tries to digest the water as if it
were fuel. Of course, this cools down the intake charge so you could get a
burst of power too (yeah right).

Fuel driers contain alcohol, isopropyl is best, methanol is much more
common. The neat thing about alcohol is it dissolves both in hydrocarbons
such as gasoline and in water, the word "dipolar" rings a bell. Anyway, the
alcohol acts as a solvent for the water and the combined gasoline, alcohol,
water mix burns nicely in the engine, no stumbles no stalls.

All winter long I add a 125 mil bottle of methanol, or preferably isopropyl
alcohol, to my fuel tank whenever the temperature fluctuates widely, say
more than 10degrees Celsius. At least once per year I try to use a good
name brand fuel injection cleaner as one of the main ingredients is a drier
(probably isopropyl).

When the temperature drops to minus 30 degrees Celsius here the condensing
water vapour from the tailpipes can actually be so thick you can't see
through it at the traffic lights when everyone drives off!! This is just
normal combustion water, not water in the fuel (that's frozen solid in the
tank!)

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada