Jean Shepherd R.I.P. (some automotove content, even)

I read with some sadness today of the death of humorist Jean Shepherd,
someone who could almost always squeeze a laugh out of me. And Jean loved
cars. Consider:

"Italian machines are designed mainly for running down peasantry, scattering
chickens, paisanos and Mafiosi to the winds like confetti, which is also an
Italian word, significantly enough -- tiny gears screaming, overhead cam
motors wailing in defiance. Italian cars, like Italian movie stars, live
short, flamboyant, dangerous lives, ruled by the stringent demands of
maintaining a public image of machismo. No wonder their predominant color is
blood red."

I'll miss him.

Joe Fillip
Swarthmore, PA