Re: 164 Input Shaft Bearing & Galvanized Bodies

C M Smith <cmsmith@domain.elided> writes...

>To learn that the "S" transmission had the  roller
> bearing originally fitted is really galling (pun intended). This
confirms
> to me that ALFA are fully to blame for this inadequacy. The torque
output
> of the S engine is hardly different than the output of the L (hardly
> surprising as they have the same displacement and two valves per
cylinder)
> and a different transmission design is absolutely unforgiveable. I
hope
> this is not correct information. I was advised the roller bearing  was
an
> updated part for all 164 trannies.

For the U.S. A. '91 model year only, the B/L came from the factory
equipped with the ball bearing rather than the roller which was always
fitted in the S tranny.  Beginning in model year '92, all cars got the
tranny equipped with the roller bearing, which has been the replacement
part for all ever since.

> The irony is that my 164 has a galvanized body!!!!!
Not entirely true.  Unlike Porsche (who led the industry with 100%
galvanized bodies starting in 1976), the Alfa 164 is not entirely
galvanized.  Some panels, such as the roof, do not utilize galvanized
steel (ever wonder why you see rusty 164 roofs?)  The 164 made a huge
step forward in it's use of rust resistant panels (compared to previous
Alfas), but they could have done better.

Brad Anesi
'91 Project 164Q 5-speed (still with original input shaft ball bearing)