Racy ball bearings, 164 tranny

Anecdotal evidence is a bit specialized but it is accurate. On my 164, the
stupid little plastic cage which holds the balls in the bearing spread
evenly around the race, broke up. The balls stayed in the race but allowed
play in the bearing causing the gears to grind and whine. The balls can't
fall out so long as the inner and outer race remain in position. Anyway,
the balls on my tranny did not fall out and the plastic cage was busted.

Of course, it is correct to point out that the bearing was incapable of
handling the loads. Duh. To learn that the "S" transmission had the roller
bearing originally fitted is really galling (pun intended). This confirms
to me that ALFA are fully to blame for this inadequacy. The torque output
of the S engine is hardly different than the output of the L (hardly
surprising as they have the same displacement and two valves per cylinder)
and a different transmission design is absolutely unforgiveable. I hope
this is not correct information. I was advised the roller bearing was an
updated part for all 164 trannies.

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada