exhaust breakage

I've got one for you- exhaust manifold breakage.  So you are thinking "must
be either the head flange or the exhaust flange."

Well, I had a total exhaust failure about 5 in upstream of the flange, just
below the "Y" on the 1-4 header.  My mechanic said "never seen that before."
Second time that day I'd heard that.  The first time was my exhaust
fabricator while he was looking at the broken weld 6 in DOWNSTREAM of the
flange, right at his "Y".

The total failure happened after it started leaking, and after 5 track
sessions at Gingerman this past weekend (2 for me, 3 for my wife).  Big
bummer.

Its getting fixed right now, but has anybody else had a manifold failure
similar to this?

Eric Storhok
Advanced Powertrain Engineering
Ford Motor Company