Re:Milano gearbox

Dear digesti, I have a '88 Milano Verde, 188k, which is my daily driver.  Or
was until two saturdays ago.  As I went for third, accelerating smartly onto
the bay bridge, something went terribly wrong.  A loud ring-a-ding-ding
followed by heart wrenching clatter announced the end of the summer season a
little early this year. Now driving the trusty rusty Subaru, I await news
from my new Alfa shop in Rochester, NY, (Morris Motors, Dick, I'll let you
know how they compare to CarTech, etc.).

Enuf' melodrama, what I'm hoping someone can tell me is what kinds of things
go wrong with these boxes, what are the usual means of correction, does
anyone have a good line on a spare box, or parts, what kind of fortune should
I expect to lose, has anyone else survived this kind of trauma?  The mighty
steed did get me and all of one boys soccer team defensive line home safely,
but it made a heck of a racket whenever I let out the clutch, didn't like to
stay in third gear at all, and only quieted when I stopped at a light and
held the clutch in.  Does that give enough symptoms to diagnose? Thanks, and
just wait 'til next year!  Bill DeVos

End of alfa-digest V7 #1090