Zagato window winders, parts numbers, etc

parts numbers for Junior Z (Zagato) window winders, 105.93.60.048.00/02 and
105.93.60.049.00/02, and suggested that these number denote parts from the
105 series, they look like Berlina winders to him, and they might be Berlina
or Giulia Sedan parts. Andrew Watry checked his parts books and found that
are not listed in either the Giulia sedan book or the 1750 Berlina book,
adding "And I wouldn't think Alfa would assign a different part number to a
part sourced from an existing car, so my belief is that these winders are
unique to the Junior Z."

The part number does explicitly identify it as a part first used on the 1300
Junior Z. The key to Alfa parts numbers from the introduction of the 101
until the Fiat renumbering is fairly logical. As Andrea says, they are parts
from the 105 series, indicated by the first three digits, which are the
series for the original application of the part; the next two (93, in this
case) identify the model in the series for the original application. The 1300
Junior Z was a 105.93, first seen at the November 1969 Turin show and in
limited production (1108 units) from the end of 1970 to the end of 1972 when
it was replaced by the 1600 Junior Z, Tipo 115.24, with 402 produced. Since
the Z went into production long after the Berlina and the 105 Giulia sedans
one would not find any 105.93 part number in the parts-catalogs on those cars.

The next two digits identify the parts group, from 01 (engine block and head)
to 80 (tools). The next three are the specific part within the group (010
crankshafts, 030 pistons, 200 camshafts etc). The next two are the execution
of the part- 00 original, 01 first modification or size change, etc followed
by two (/01, /02, etc) for a sub-part of a main part.

So these particular winders were not used before the 1300 Junior Z was
produced. That does not necessarily mean that a Berlina winder won't do the
job. Alfa often used different numbers for parts which might seem identical,
and might be effectively interchangeable. I ran into this bigtime when I
tried to start a database of Alfa fasteners, starting with the 1750 GT
Veloce; the nut with a 6mm x 1mm thread was 2125.15027 on p.17 (securing the
timing cover to block), 2125.15051 on p.29 (securing the front of the
camcover to timing cover), 2120.20066 on p.83 (on the hand choke and throttle
control), and other parts sprung similar surprises on me. A different grade?
perhaps. The 8mm x 1mm nuts are  2125.15029, 2125.15053, or 2125.15704, (and
probably several other parts numbers) depending on where found. How many
mechanics keep them sorted? My point is that parts which were outsourced
(like window winders, which often came from three different manufacturers on
a single model) might well have had different parts numbers for reasons which
might not limit use in a different place; a Berlina window winder might have
slightly different gearing, or a slightly different length of cable, or might
be totally different. The only recourse, often, is direct visual comparison.
I wish there was a better answer, but I certainly don't have one; a different
part number does not necessarily mean that the part won't do the job.

Cordially,

John H.
Raleigh, N.C