Re: piston rings and valve job

> Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 11:11:49 -0700 (PDT)
>  From: Joe Filardi <space_munko@domain.elided>
>  Subject: piston rings and valve job
>
>  I am rebuilding a 1300 engine out of a GTV and was
>  wondering if anyone has a recomendation for which ring
>  brand to buy.  I am also curious as to how much it
>  would cost to get a valve job done on the head and who
>  would do it in CT.  I would rather bring it to an alfa
>  mechanic then someone who works on Japanese and
>  American cars all day.  Thank You
>
>  Joe Filardi

Hi Joe,

If you're in the northern part of CT you might try Alfas Unlimited in Norfolk
- -  http://world.std.com/~jeh/alfasun/
Or Eriminus Imports, also in Norfolk, CT.  Not sure if they have a web site
but they're in the book (don't have the nos. at my figertips).  Call for
quotes.

If you really want a head job done than you might want to check out Sperry
Valve Works in CA http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/sperry_valve_works/

Not sure of the prices, but if you want it done right these guys know how.
These guys are stricktly Alfa and I've had good experiences with all.  Of
course, if you have the resources available it's not all that difficult to do
a stock valve job yourself.

As far as rings go, Hastings (http://www.hastingsmfg.com/ ), can get you what
you want w/o a middle man and they're a good set for a street car.  I
wouldn't recommend or even use a set of Deves rings even if they were free.
Ask me how I know!

Regards,

Frank Formeister