Crunchy gearboxes, Themas, and thermostats

what was I thinking (besides nothing!)??? There was a transverse drivetrain
model from the FIAT empire I had in mind, but the thought processes got
totally confused. The Scorpion (Monte Carlo in Europe) was a mid-engine,
transverse drivetrain, with an engine  similar in looks to the largest
displacement FIAT 124 engine. But this was sold as a Lancia. The Lancia
Beta also used this drivetrain. The FIAT 128 transverse drivetrain powered
the X1/9. No crunchies in that gearbox either. What were we discussing anyway?

The V8 Thema may have used a bent crank version of the 308 engine
(certainly a flat crank would be a bit uncultured for a luxury sedan). I
believe the Ferrari used a flat crank in the 308 etc. That wouldn't account
for the power difference, in street trim anyway. Anyway, the 308/328/348 V8
WAS a transverse design (only the 288 GTO version had an inline mid engine
design), and a mid engine, and therefore bore the same relationship to the
Thema layout as the Scorpion to Beta and  X1/9 to 128 layouts. So the
exhaust wouldn't have to be different just for the front drive. The exhaust
would have to be different for a bent crank version of a flat crank V8.
Probably, the Thema couldn't put the extra power onto the road anyway, a
notorious weak point of FWD, rear weight transfer under acceleration
reduces traction available at the drive wheels.

Ok, correct me again.

As far as the bits and pieces wearing out on the 164 thermostats, I am
informed that ALFA only supplies the thermostat complete with its housing
ready to swap.

Finally, has anyone experienced throttle plate icing on a 164L? I have on
two essentially identical occasions, one year apart, experienced fuel
starvation symptoms which mysteriously disappear. The ambient conditions
were ideal for intake tract icing, but this is virtually unheard of with
modern engines. Any ideas?
Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada